Have you been meaning to try oil pulling, but it just seems too messy? Whether you already enjoy oil pulling or would like to start, I’ve created a recipe that is a must try!
These oil pulling chews make it easy to get the full benefits of oil pulling; I carefully selected each of these ingredients to nourish the oral microbiome, help promote remineralization of the teeth and to enhance the biofilm of the tooth; resulting in fewer cavities, better breath, and better gut health.
Arginine: Also known as l-arginine, this amino acid supplement is the real star of the recipe. Recent research has revealed arginine’s role in preventing tooth decay while preserving the health of the oral microbial flora.
Coconut oil: Coconut oil contains lauric acid, a selective oral antimicrobial. It has been shown to inhibit the growth of Streptococcus mutans in vitro, a bacteria found to be a significant contributor to gum disease and tooth decay.
Avocado oil: Like olive oil, avocado oil contains high amounts of the heart healthy monounsaturated fat, oleic acid. It’s high in antioxidants and the fat soluble vitamin E, which is helpful in preventing inflammation, such as the chronic inflammation involved in periodontal disease.
Xylitol: Xylitol is a natural plant derived sweetener that helps prevent bacteria from sticking to the teeth.
Baking soda: We’ve included baking soda in the recipe to enhance the efficacy and taste of the chews and stabilize the pH. Despite what you may have heard, baking soda is not abrasive to tooth enamel. Our teeth and mouths are constantly under attack by acids from the foods we eat. Neutralizing these acids is essential to maintaining proper pH in the mouth to encourage the right bacteria, promote remineralization, and protect against decay.Learn More: The Ultimate Guide to Oil Pulling: Benefits, How-To, and Everything Else You Need to Know Print
Remineralizing Coconut Oil Pulling Chews Recipe
Oil pulling is one of the easiest and most affordable ways to support oral and dental health. I recommend pulling each morning before eating or drinking anything. There’s no need to stress about it, either. Just 1-3 minutes makes a difference!
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 2 hours 10 minutes
- Total Time: 2 hours 15 minutes
- Yield: Makes about ¾ cups or 72 half teaspoon portions 1x
- Mix coconut oil with avocado oil in a medium-sized bowl, set aside.
- In a separate bowl combine the xylitol, baking soda and l-arginine, mix with a fork until well combined.
- Slowly add the powders into the oil, mixing with a fork.
- Fill ice cube trays in 1/2 teaspoon portions, mix often as you fill the tray to prevent powders from settling to the bottom of the bowl.
- Freeze for at least 2 hours, or until completely hardened.
- Transfer the chews to a jar and store in the fridge.
– Use these chews after drinking something acidic like coffee or wine to help prevent staining.
– If you struggle with coffee breath, pulling for 5-10 minutes can minimize coffee odors—no brushing required!
– If you want to brush after an acidic meal or drink, wait at least 20-30 minutes, since acids weaken enamel, making it vulnerable to a toothbrush.
How to Oil Pull
After brushing and flossing, gently swish, pull, and suck the oil through your teeth; the chews will quickly melt in your mouth once you begin. Go slow and don’t work too hard, pulling for about 1-3 minutes.