I’m a huge fan of making your own toothpaste in order to avoid harmful ingredients like triclosan that are found in many conventional, store-bought products. And since neem has so many incredible benefits for oral and dental health, it makes sense that it would be the star of this recipe.
Neem has antibacterial properties that help reverse gum and mouth diseases including gingivitis. It also prevents cavities and plaque and leaves you with fresh breath.  In fact, on the Indian subcontinent (where neem trees grow natively), people have been chewing on neem twigs for many, many years in order to avoid cavities and tooth loss..
Combine the benefits of neem with those of the other ingredients included in this recipe, and you have one powerful toothpaste that you’ll want to add to your mouth-care regimen.
Let’s explore some of those other ingredients and their benefits now:
Coconut oil—Helps kill bad breath, prevent cavities, reduce gum inflammation and whiten teeth.
Bentonite Clay—Aids in the detoxification of heavy metals and toxins present in the mouth. On its own, bentonite clay holds a negative charge, so it binds easily with toxins and carries them away.
Baking Soda—This antibacterial and antifungal ingredient has been proven to kill Streptococcus mutans, which is linked to tooth decay. (2)
Xylitol—Has been shown to reduce early tooth decay. (3)
Ginger Powder—Creates a warming and soothing effect on the gums. It’s also packed with antioxidants needed to fight oral bacteria linked to inflammatory gum diseases like gingivitis.
Cinnamon—Flavorful, warming, and contains powerful antioxidant properties. Cinnamon also helps reduce swelling and inflammation in the mouth, supports the oral microbiome, and freshens breath naturally. (6)
Vitamin E Oil—Helps protect the body from free radicals with its antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties. (7)
- 4 tablespoons Cold-pressed Organic Coconut Oil
- 4 tablespoons Food Grade Bentonite Clay
- 1/2 teaspoon Baking Soda
- 2 tablespoons Xylitol
- 2 capsules FOS Probiotics (Fructooligosaccharides)
- 2 capsules Spore Based Probiotic (Megaspore or Prescript Assist)
- 2 capsules (or 1/4 teaspoon) Powdered Neem Leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon Cacao Powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Ginger Powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon Vitamin E Oil
- 4 tablespoons distilled or filtered water (divided)
- In a small saucepan, heat coconut oil over low heat until melted, about 1 – 2 minutes.
- Add bentonite clay, baking soda, xylitol, FOS, probiotic, neem, cacao, ginger and cinnamon to a food processor or high speed blender and blend for 10-15 seconds until all powders are evenly combined. Tap sides and top of blender so powder will fall to the bottom. Wait a couple of minutes before opening to allow powders to settle.
- Pour 2 tablespoons of coconut oil into the blender. Blend for 10-15 seconds, mixture will be crumbly. Allow a minute for powders to settle. Take the small end of a wooden spoon (a chopstick or small spatula will also work) and run it along the inside edge of the blender, making sure to combine all the powder with the oil.
- Add the remaining coconut oil and vitamin E, and blend another 10 – 15 seconds. Mixture will be runny. Again run the wooden spoon end along the edge of the blender to make sure all the powder is incorporated. Blend again if necessary, texture will be smooth and creamy.
- With the blender running, slowly add 3 tablespoons of the water and blend for at least 30 seconds, or until it is thoroughly mixed.
- Transfer to a glass container with a plastic lid or a nontoxic refillable squeeze tube. If necessary, add the remaining tablespoon of water in order to achieve the appropriate texture for the squeeze tube. We like this 100% BPA, PC and phthalate free refillable squeeze tube. Mix with a fork to blend any powder that didn’t get incorporated into the toothpaste.
Note: Only use stainless steel utensils with bentonite clay, when it comes in contact with water, it’s highly negative charge attracts metals.
How to use your Love Your Gums Neem Toothpaste
Dip a clean spoon into the toothpaste and apply to your toothbrush. Store half at room temperature and use toothpaste within 7-10 days. Store the rest in the refrigerator for later use. Alternatively, fill a refillable squeeze tube with your Love Your Gums Neem Toothpaste and squeeze about a quarter teaspoon onto your toothbrush twice daily for best oral hygiene. Store in your refrigerator for extended freshness.
Send this to a friend