Looking for an alternative to commercial toothpastes containing toxic ingredients that are harmful to your health? Here’s a natural and effective toothpaste you won’t have to call your doctor for in case you accidentally swallow some!
This homemade toothpaste may look more like dessert, but don’t be fooled!
Coconut oil and bentonite clay are the perfect foundation for toothpaste, creating a delightful taste and texture along with superior effectiveness.
Coconut oil supports the gut microbiome (remember that oral health is connected to gut health and that your mouth is part of your digestive tract).
Bentonite clay cleans your teeth without being too abrasive, while its high mineral content helps to remineralize your teeth.
The addition of probiotics and prebiotics help to create a healthy mouth flora. And as for the cacao…believe it or not it’s not just about the taste! (Although we here at Ask the Dentist do indeed love some high quality chocolate). Compounds found in cacao lower your chance of cavities and also harden tooth enamel.
Indulge in the naturally delicious flavor and satisfaction of brushing your teeth with healthy, non-toxic toothpaste that you made yourself!
- 4 tablespoons Cold-pressed Organic Coconut Oil
- 4 tablespoons Food Grade Bentonite Clay
- 1/2 teaspoon Baking Soda
- 2 tablespoons Xylitol
- 2 capsules FOS Probiotics (Fructooligosaccharides)
- 2 capsules Spore Based Probiotic (Megaspore or Prescript Assist)
- 1/2 teaspoons Cacao Powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Ginger Powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon Vitamin E Oil
- 4 tablespoons distilled or filtered water (divided)
- In a small saucepan, heat coconut oil over low heat until melted, about 1 – 2 minutes.
- Add bentonite clay, baking soda, xylitol, FOS, probiotic, cacao, ginger and cinnamon to a food processor or high speed blender and blend for 10-15 seconds until all powders are evenly combined, tapping sides and top of blender so powder will fall to the bottom.
- Wait a couple of minutes before opening to allow powders to settle, then pour one tablespoon of coconut oil into the blender. Blend for 10-15 seconds; mixture will be crumbly. Take the small end of a wooden spoon (a chopstick or small spatula will also work) and run it along the inside edge of the blender, making sure to combine all the powder with the oil.
- Add the vitamin E and remaining coconut oil, and blend another 10 – 15 seconds. A this point, the mixture will be runny. Again, run the wooden spoon end along the edge of the blender to make sure all the powder is incorporated. Blend again if necessary to create a smooth and creamy texture.
- With the blender running, slowly add the water and blend for at least 30 seconds, or until it is thoroughly mixed.
- Transfer to a glass container with a plastic lid or a nontoxic refillable squeeze tube.
Storage Tips & How to Use
Dip a clean spoon into the toothpaste and apply to your toothbrush. Store half at room temperature and use toothpaste within 7-10 days. Store the rest in the refrigerator for later use. Alternatively, fill a refillable squeeze tube with your toothpaste and squeeze about a quarter teaspoon onto your toothbrush twice daily for best oral hygiene. Store in your refrigerator for extended freshness.
If you are interested in healing gum disease using a food as medicine approach, here's a powered by neem leaf variation of the probiotic toothpaste.
Send this to a friend