Elevating the standard of care by putting patients first.
As a professional organization committed to advancing the field of functional dentistry, we are dedicated to providing our members with a wealth of benefits that support their professional growth and development.
Who We Are
We are a worldwide network of dentists and clinicians committed to a whole-body, root-cause approach to dentistry. Our network includes airway, orthodontists, cosmetic, pediatric, oral surgeons, myofunctional therapists, and other clinicians who are dedicated to collaborating with patients’ teams, including functional medicine practitioners, to provide patient-centered care. We believe that the standard of care in dentistry should prioritize treating the mouth as a part of the body that affects all other systems, and we are dedicated to the latest advancements in oral microbiome science.
Our mission is to usher in the future of our profession by providing a network of practitioners who are dedicated to a whole-body approach to dentistry. We believe in treating patients as individuals, with a focus on root cause rather than symptom management. We created the Functional Dentist Directory to meet the demand we saw for patients who wanted to work with dentists who shared our commitment to this approach.
Benefits of Membership
As a member of the Functional Dentist Directory, you’ll enjoy discounts on continuing education courses in oral microbiome, airway, dental sleep medicine, facial development, tongue tie, hydroxyapatite, and other functional dentistry latest science. You’ll have access to a community of like-minded professionals, as well as patients who are more motivated and interested in a long-term working relationship. This approach puts patients first, leading to less burnout and resistance to the corporate dentistry trend of spending less time with patients while billing for more.
Benefits at a Glance
- Discounts on Continuing Education Courses: Members of the Functional Dentist Directory receive discounts on a variety of continuing education courses in the latest functional dentistry science, including courses in oral microbiome, airway, dental sleep medicine, facial development, tongue tie, hydroxyapatite, and more.
- Access to a Worldwide Network of Functional Dentists: As a member of the Functional Dentist Directory, you’ll have access to a worldwide network of functional dentists and clinicians who share your passion for whole-body, root-cause dentistry. Collaborate with fellow professionals, expand your knowledge, and build lasting relationships with like-minded colleagues.
- Patient Referrals: Patients who visit the Functional Dentist Directory website are actively seeking functional dentistry solutions. By being listed in our directory, you’ll have the opportunity to receive patient referrals from people who are looking for a dentist who shares their philosophy of whole-body, root-cause dentistry.
- Premium Directory Placement: Members who complete our Oral Microbiome Certification Program will receive premium placement on our directory. This will ensure that your profile is seen by more patients who are searching for functional dentists in your area.
- Educational Resources: Members will have access to free educational resources that they can use in their waiting rooms or give to patients. These resources are designed to help educate patients about the importance of whole-body, root-cause dentistry and how it can improve their overall health.
- First Access to Exclusive Events: Members will have first access to exclusive events and retreats hosted by the Functional Dentist Directory. Connect with other functional dentists, learn from leading experts in the field, and grow your practice in a supportive and collaborative environment.
What Functional Dentistry Is and Is Not
Functional dentistry is a way of thinking and an approach, not a specialty. It is a commitment to whole-body health, and it considers the latest science and advancements in oral microbiome. It is scientific and evidence-based, and it’s not an endpoint but rather a starting point. Many dentists already practice this way, and we welcome anyone who shares our commitment to join our movement.
History of the Functional Dentist Directory
Hi there, I’m Dr. Mark Burhenne, DDS. I’ve been practicing dentistry for over 30 years, and during that time, I’ve seen countless patients come to me with concerns about their dental health that just weren’t being addressed by conventional dentistry.
That’s why I turned to the internet to educate people about functional dentistry and how it can improve their overall health. Through my blog, social media channels, and podcasts, I was able to create a groundswell of interest in this approach to dentistry. But with that interest came a problem: the number one question I kept getting was, “How do I find a dentist who thinks like you?”
That’s when I realized that there was a real need for a directory of functional dentists. I wanted to create a resource where patients could find a dentist who shared my patient-centered approach and commitment to whole-body health. And that’s how the Functional Dentist Directory was born.
Starting with just 100 dentists at a $1 price point at the start of the COVID pandemic, we quickly grew to over 200 dentists and a waitlist of over 3,000 patients who were eager to find a dentist who could help them with their specific needs.
But we didn’t stop there. We’ve continued to educate patients and dentists alike on the latest advancements in functional dentistry and oral microbiome science.
Our goal is to continue to grow this movement and make it easy for patients to find a functional dentist who can provide them with the care they need to achieve whole-body health. And as always, we’re committed to putting patients first and providing dentists with the resources they need to deliver the highest quality care.
With this in mind, I started working on creating a directory of dentists who shared my patient-centered approach to dentistry. I wanted to make it easy for patients to find a dentist who could work with them to improve their oral and overall health.
I reached out to dentists and clinicians in my network who shared my philosophy, and before I knew it, we had a network of 100 functional dentists on our directory. It was a start, but we knew there was so much more we could do.
Since then, we have continued to grow, reaching milestones such as 200 dentists on our directory, and thousands of patients who are eager to work with functional dentists.
It’s been an incredible journey, and we’re just getting started. Our goal is to continue to educate patients about the importance of a patient-centered, whole-body approach to dentistry, and to help them find the right functional dentist for their needs.
I believe that everyone deserves access to high-quality, patient-centered dental care, and we’re committed to making that a reality. Thank you for joining us on this journey, and we look forward to continuing to work with you to improve oral and overall health.
We’re dedicated to educating patients and expanding our reach, including launching a certificate program in oral microbiome. We’re also working on providing free continuing education to reach new dentists who are in areas of high demand and creating educational materials for waiting rooms. In 2024 and beyond, we’re planning our first in-person meetups and retreats, with locations in Cambridge, Massachusetts, and another country outside the US to be determined based on demand.
Join the Movement
We invite you to join our movement and become a member of the Functional Dentist Directory. We welcome anyone who shares our commitment to whole-body, root-cause dentistry to join us and be a part of the future of our profession.
Functional dentistry is an approach to dental care that:
– Emphasizes prevention for oral disease such as oral microbiome management, treatment of sleep-disordered breathing, and dietary recommendations
– Aims to use non-toxic, or the least toxic available, materials when treating dental issues
– Focuses on the root causes of oral disease and works with each patient to develop an individualized plan of care
– Promotes an all-body approach to dental health, recognizing that the health of the mouth reflects overall health
No. Functional dentistry is a mindset and approach, not a subspecialty. Your membership on the Functional Dentist Directory includes access to online CE (continuing education)
There is no minimum number of years required to become a member. As long as you are committed to integrating the principles of Functional Dentistry into your care, we invite you to join us.
I like to think of functional dentistry is an umbrella term, and holistic and biological dentistry are subsets of that approach.
Functional dentists fill cavities and do root canals—just like conventional dentists—but they don’t stop there. Functional dentists look to root causes of dental disease and work with patients on those root causes. This includes, but is not limited to, incorporating the oral microbiome, airway health, nutrition, myofunctional therapy, and sleep-disordered breathing. Functional dentists go upstream for their patients and help connect the dots.