Today, Dr. B welcomes Dr. David Lin to the podcast to discuss how one company is reinventing our approach to oral health—by highlighting the foundational importance of the oral microbiome. Dr. Lin has a Ph.D. in Microbiology and Immunology and is the Co-Founder and CSO of the startup Bristle. The newly launched company is on a mission to help people understand and improve their oral health using its non-invasive, at-home oral microbiome test. Your saliva is tested and used to measure the bacteria that cause bad breath, tooth decay, and gum inflammation. Using the insights gathered via these tests, clients are given personalized recommendations to kickstart their journey to better oral and overall health. Dr. Lin breaks down Bristle’s comprehensive oral microbiome test, who should take advantage of it, and how to take action on resulting insights and recommendations.
The oral microbiome includes all the bacteria, fungi, viruses, and archaea in your mouth and is a “community” that, under symbiosis, prevents disease. Dr. Lin explains how preventing dysbiosis and maintaining a thriving oral microbiome leads to improved remineralization and its immunological benefits, such as preventing oral cancer, ulcerations of the oral mucosa, and gum disease. Dr. Lin also shares why a high-fiber, low-to-no-sugar diet is the absolute best way to minimize cavities and boost the oral microbiome for the long term.
Dr. Lin dives deep into the crucial yet often overlooked link between systemic disease and oral disease. It is only when the microbiome is in a state of imbalance that symptoms of poor oral health begin to manifest themselves. He discusses the limitations of “reactive” dentistry, which only considers visible symptoms while failing to consider the health of the oral microbiome.
Key Points From This Episode:
- Introducing today’s topic: What is the oral microbiome and why is it paradigm-shifting in the world of oral health? [05:38]
- How to determine whether or not your oral microbiome is functioning well [11:04]
- The benefits of maintaining a good oral microbiome [15:40]
- How an unhealthy gut microbiome translates into systemic disease [20:58]
- The limitations and potentially harmful effects of using oral healthcare products [24:48]
- An introduction to Bristle’s comprehensive oral microbiome test [36:08]
- Who should take the test? [43:31]
- How to take action based on the results of the test [48:57]
- The future of Bristle and its technology [56:56]
Links Mentioned in Today’s Episode:
- Get your oral health test kit from Bristle
- Click Here to Record a Message for Dr. B
- Functional Dentist Directory
- What Dr. B Recommends
- Ask the Dentist
- About Dr. Mark Burhenne