Midnight snacking is quite common for those with Type 1 diabetes, who need to maintain their blood sugar levels. If you do find yourself reaching for a simple source of sugar after bedtime though, should you brush your teeth afterward? Today, Dr. B answers this question by sharing his recommendations for which snacks he believes are best and how to take care of your oral hygiene in the middle of the night, from swishing with water to taping your mouth and more!
Submit Your Question
Dr. B loves answering your questions. Record a voicemail for your chance to have it answered in a future episode.
Key Points From This Episode:
- Introducing today’s topic: do you need to brush your teeth after a midnight snack? [01:59]
- Dr. B’s suggestions, from investing in a CGM to keeping juice on your nightstand [05:57]
- Why he recommends swishing your mouth with water rather than getting up to brush [07:03]
- The benefits of mouth taping for reducing your chances of tooth decay [07:18]
- How your sleep will improve if you address sleep apnea first [08:26]
- Why you might want to try experimenting with other fruit and vegetable juices [12:50]
How to Submit Your Question:
Record your question for Dr. B at speakpipe.com/askthedentist
Links Mentioned in Today’s Episode:
Follow Dr. B on Instagram @askthedentist
Follow Dr. B on Twitter @askthedentist